All truck-mounted cranes require an annual inspection and all cranes over 5 metric tons require an inspection certificate. Whangaparaoa Engineering offers a certification-grade inspection and repair service carried out by qualified personnel. This ensures that your truck crane is safe to operate and functions to its correct specifications in line with the Pressure Equipment, Cranes and Passenger Ropeways (PECPR) regulations and the Health and Safety Act. We offer a full maintenance and repair service for all brands of knuckle boom cranes including HIAB, Palfinger and Cormach.
Truck mounted crane services
Our truck mounted crane services include:
- Testing and certification of truck-mounted cranes
- Diagnosis and repair of hydraulic and electrical systems
- Specialists in Hiab and Palfinger cranes
- Cranes fitted to trucks
- Pre-purchase crane inspections
- Cranes overhauled and maintained
- Advice and consultancy on cranes
Crane inspection services
At Wangaparoa Engineering, our crane inspection is a comprehensive, hands-on service and takes around six hours. Our inspection includes the following:
- We thoroughly clean and inspect the crane structure, hydraulic systems and controls
- We check all bolts and fasteners are tight with a spanner or torque wrench for critical components
- We check the tightness and condition of the bolts connecting the subframe to the
- truck chassis, and also the main bolts connecting the crane to the sub frame
- The truck chassis, sub frame and full crane structure are all checked for fatigue cracking, distortion and damage
- The condition of the paint is assessed, and areas of corrosion indicated on the test as a fail
- and repair, or noted for the next annual test
- We check all hoses and hydraulic fittings for leaks, cracking or damage
- The hydrailic oil tank is checked for damage or leaks and hydraulic fluid checked for condition, correct level and water content
- PTO and PTO pump are checked for wear, leaks, excess noise or damage
- Hydraulic cylinders are checked for damage and leaks
- Piston rods are checked for damage and wear
- Stabilizer legs are checked for damage, wear and that all fasteners are tight
- We check all crane stickers, decals, load charts, range diagrams for
- existence, legibility and condition
- All cranes have their crane hook or hook block tested or replaced with a tested
- hook from our tested hook pool
- The crane is worked throughout its operating range, and the condition of pins and bushes,
- pivot points,and slides etc are all checked for condition and wear
- We check the maximum lifting capacity of the crane as well as any safety systems to limit loads or to indicate overloads
- We conduct a full load test for creep or dropping
- If any areas requiring repair or adjustment cannot be done at the time we will quote for repair and arrange a new booking with you
- The reworked areas are retested and if OK, a test report or certificate is issued.
- A full greasing is done and the crane is ready for work
A copy of the check sheet, full details of any repairs and a hook test certificate are provided.
We also offer crane testing as an independent, stand-alone service if the client wishes to have repairs done either in their workshop or elsewhere.
Crane electrical and hydraulic diagnostic services
If you are experiencing leaking hoses, seals, creep or behaviour faults with your crane, don't wait for the next inspection, call us today. Fixing faults early will almost always save you money in the long term plus give you peace of mind that your equipment is safe for your staff to use.
- Hydraulic power system diagnosis and overhaul
- Hydraulic control system diagnosis and overhaul
- Hydraulic fluid and filter replacement
- Electrical system diagnosis and fault finding
- Solenoid and valve testing
- Hydraulic hose inspection and replacement
Our workshop is well equipped for our experienced and competent staff to complete most work in house.
Looking at a second-hand HIAB? Get it checked by us first.
Repairing a worn crane to a safe standard can be an expensive business. We can either give your prospective purchase a thorough check over or a full inspection to give you peace of mind before parting with your cash.
We can also fit or remove your crane from your truck, and carry out any other work you may require on the crane or the truck chassis.
Custom hydraulic systems
We don't just service truck mounted cranes. Whangaparaoa Engineering can design, build and install hydraulic systems on your premises, truck, machinery or boat. Following the design work we can manufacture the complete package or project manage the manufacture of the system for you. We offer repair, alteration and maintenance services for transport hydraulics, earth-moving and process hydraulics. These include steel and flexible hydraulic piping. We manufacture, repair and alter hydraulic cylinders and can supply all parts and components.